Paid Sick Days
Everyone gets sick, but not everyone has time to get better.
Latest Resources: Paid Sick Days and Coronavirus
- Know Your Rights: Emergency Paid Sick Days and Paid Leave for Child Care and Coronavirus
- New Emergency Legislation Provides Paid Sick Days and Paid Leave for Child Care for Millions
Paid sick and safe days allow workers to take brief periods of time away from work they need to attend to their and their family's health. To date, 10 states and 23 localities across the country have passed paid sick days laws allowing workers to take time to attend doctor's appointments, pick up sick children from school, accommodate public health emergencies and businesses or school closures, all with job-protected time they accrue. Many laws also include paid safe days that allow survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and/or stalking to seek services related to these incidents.
Our nation's failure to provide a basic paid sick days standard has never been more apparent and workers and their families are paying the price. More than 32 million people — more than one in four private sector workers — can't earn a single paid sick day. No one should be forced to choose between their or their family's health and a paycheck.
The National Partnership supports the Healthy Families Act, which would provide all eligible workers with seven paid sick days to recover from illness, access preventive care, or care for a sick family member.
New Resources: When abortion care is already hard to access, a lack of paid sick days adds insult to injury. Learn more about the connection between paid sick days and abortion here.
Visit our paid sick days campaign site to find your local paid sick days campaign, learn more about the need for paid sick days, and ways to get involved.More
- Paid Sick Days — State and District Statutes
- Current Paid Sick Days Laws
- Paid Sick Days Are Good for Business
- Paid Sick Days Improve Public Health
- Back-to-School Toolkit
- Latinos and Their Families Need Paid Sick Days
- African Americans and Their Families Need Paid Sick Days
- The Healthy Families Act
- The Healthy Families Act: Section-by-Section
- Paid Sick Days and Abortion Access