Paid Family Leave

State: Minnesota
Subject: Paid Family Leave
Bill: SF 779/HF 580
Introduced in House and referred to Committee on Commerce and Regulatory Reform: 02/05/15
Introduced in Senate and referred to Committee on Jobs, Agriculture and Rural Development: 02/12/15
Re-referred to House Committee on Job Growth and Energy Affordability Policy and Finance: 03/02/15
Amended and passed in Senate Jobs, Agriculture and Rural Development Committee, re-referred to Finance Committee: 03/25/15

Expands state family leave law allowing 12 weeks of unpaid leave for the birth or placement of a new child, for prenatal care or incapacity due to pregnancy, childbirth or related health conditions, or to care for a child, spouse, sibling, parent, parent-in-law, grandchild or grandparent with a serious health condition, and establishes an insurance program that would pay benefits to employees for a portion of that leave. Leave is job-protected, and the employer must continue to make any health insurance it provides available to the employee while on leave.

Employees may receive benefits for up to six weeks. The maximum weekly benefit is between 66 percent and 95 percent of the employee's weekly wage, depending on the employee's yearly earnings, up to a maximum of $1,000 per week.

The program is funded through premiums paid by employees and employers. Each employee's premium equals 0.1 percent of the first $78,000 of the employee's yearly wages (up to a maximum of $78 per year). Each employer's premium equals the total of premiums paid by the employer's employees.

Applies to employers of any size in the state. Employees who have performed at least 680 hours of work for their employer or have worked for that employer for at least 17 weeks are eligible; independent contractors are not.

Entry updated as of: March 26, 2015.
Work & Family Policy Database Home
This database provides short summaries of bills and statutes. The summaries are not intended to constitute legal advice. To find out how laws relate to your particular situation, you must contact a lawyer who specializes in employees’ rights, the Labor Department's Wage and Hour Division (1-866-4USWAGE), your state labor department and/or your union.