Flexible Work Schedules

State: Minnesota
Subject: Flexible Work Schedules
Bill: HF 1139
Introduced in House and referred to Committee on Commerce and Regulatory Reform: 02/23/15

Requires employers to provide an employee with a work schedule and post employees' schedules at least 21 days in advance and provide 24 hours' notice for changes. An employee has a right to request input on his or her schedule, such as limiting availability. An employer must consider the request in good faith and engage in an interactive process with the employee within two days of receiving it. Employers may not require employees to find someone to cover hours when the employee is unable to work.

Permitted changes by an employer include shortening or lengthening a shift, changing start/end times or canceling a shift, so long as the employee is given at least 24 hours' notice. An employer may change the start/end times without changing the total number of hours or add hours within 24 hours of the shift. If an employer makes any of these changes, it must pay the employer one hour of "predictability pay" for each shift changed, which is paid at the employee's usual hourly wage. If an employer cancels or reduces the hours in an employee's scheduled shift with less than 24 hours' notice, the employer must pay the employee predictability pay for the number of originally scheduled hours, up to four hours.

An employee has the right to decline work hours that occur less than 11 hours after the end of the previous shift or during the 11 hours following the end of a two-day shift. If an employee agrees to work, an employer must pay time and a half of the employee's regular rate for hours worked. Additionally, an employer must offer available hours to current employees before hiring new employees or contractors to cover the hours.

Entry updated as of: March 19, 2015.
Work & Family Policy Database Home
This database provides short summaries of bills and statutes. The summaries are not intended to constitute legal advice. To find out how laws relate to your particular situation, you must contact a lawyer who specializes in employees’ rights, the Labor Department's Wage and Hour Division (1-866-4USWAGE), your state labor department and/or your union.