Family And Medical Insurance Leave (FAMILY) Act
At some point, nearly everyone needs time away from work to recover from a serious illness or care for a sick loved one or new child. Yet the majority of working people in the United States cannot take the time they need without risking their jobs or economic security. A national paid leave program would allow people to receive a portion of their pay when they need time away from their jobs for family or medical reasons – resulting in significant benefits for their families, businesses and our economy.
- The Family And Medical Insurance Leave (FAMILY) Act English | Spanish
Details on the proposed legislation.
- Frequently Asked Questions on the FAMILY Act
What does it do? How would it work? Who would benefit?
- FAMILY Act Coalition Letter to Congress
A list of more than 650 groups across the nation that are urging members of Congress to support the bill.
- New Poll and Website Analysis Show Candidates Benefit from Prioritizing Family Friendly Workplace Policies
National poll of 2016 voters confirms that, by an overwhelming majority and across demographic and party lines, voters say it is important for the president and Congress to consider paid sick days and paid family and medical leave laws, and that they favor creating a national paid leave fund like the one the FAMILY Act would create.
- Treatment for Drug Use and the Need for Paid Family and Medical Leave
Treatment programs and the support of family caregivers aid the recovery of people with substance use disorders — but too many people do not have the supportive workplace policies they need to make ends meet while seeking treatment or providing this care.
- The Child Development Case for a National Paid Family & Medical Leave Insurance Program
Enacting public policies that provide parents with paid leave from work to care for their young children is critical to the healthy development of children and families.
- Fathers Need Paid Family and Medical Leave
All new parents – mothers and fathers – should be able to take time away from their jobs to care for their families without facing financial hardship or workplace discrimination. A national paid family and medical leave insurance program would provide women and men with much-needed pay when they need time off for family or medical reasons.
- Older Adults and Caregivers Need Paid Leave
As our population ages and caregiving needs increase, paid leave programs will be even more critical to helping ensure workers can take care of themselves and their loved ones without risking their economic security.
Business and Economy
- Paid Family and Medical Leave: Good for Business
Leading business owners and managers recognize that every worker will at some point need time off to attend to health or family issues.
State Paid Leave Laws
- State Paid Family Leave Insurance Laws
Some states already have their own family leave insurance laws.
- Paid Leave Works in California, New Jersey and Rhode Island
Studies of the nation's three paid family leave programs demonstrate how well paid leave policies work for workers, families and businesses.