Map: 24 million Americans can better care and provide for their families when family and medical needs arise
Number of private sector workers covered by earned sick days, paid family leave insurance and temporary disability insurance laws:
But many still suffer without the economic protections provided by laws guaranteeing sick days and family and medical leave.
- Milkman, R. (2013, November 26), Personal communication. (Professor of Sociology, City University of New York Graduate Center; Academic Director, Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies).
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2013, December 18). Covered establishments, employment, and wages in the 335 largest counties, second quarter 2013 (Table 1). Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Williams, C. (2014, January 7), Personal communication. (Research Analyst, Institute for Women’s Policy Research).
- Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. (2009), Personal communication in November 2013. Unpublished calculation.
- New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. (2013). Quarterly Census of Employment & Wages Reports, Industry Detail Report, New Jersey, 2013 First Quarter, Private Total. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Williams, C. (2013, December 2), Personal communication. (Research Analyst, Institute for Women’s Policy Research).
- Boldiston, C. (2013, November 21), Personal communication. (Senior Fiscal Policy Analyst, Fiscal Policy Institute).
- Rankin, N. (2013, November 21), Personal communication. (Vice President for Policy, Research and Advocacy, Community Service Society).
- Williams, C. (2013, March). Valuing Good Health in Portland: The Costs and Benefits of Earned Sick Days. Institute for Women’s Policy Research Publication.
- National Partnership for Women & Families calculation based on U.S. Census Bureau data. (2012). American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates, Geographies: All States within United States, Table DP03: Selected Economic Characteristics. Retrieved 2 January 2014; We Care RI. (2013). Temporary Caregiver Insurance Program Legislation Fact Sheet: SB 231/ HB 5889.
- Go Hollo, T. (2013, March 19), Personal communication. (Policy Associate, Economic Opportunity Institute).
- Williams, C., & Hayes, J. (2013, October). Valuing Good Health in the District of Columbia: The Costs and Benefits of the Earned Sick and Safe Leave Amendment Act of 2013. Institute for Women’s Policy Research Publication; Williams, C. (2013, November 21), Personal communication. (Research Analyst, Institute for Women’s Policy Research).
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2013). Table B-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by industry sector and selected industry detail. Retrieved 6 January 2014.